Thursday, July 24, 2008

two weeks!


Sam is two weeks old today!

Today was Aaron's first day back at work. Sam and I had an ok day, but he has been fussier today than normal. Hasn't gotten nearly as much sleep during the day and it seems whenever i put him down in his pack 'n' play or crib, he wakes up, but he's fine sleeping in my arms. Sigh. I very much enjoy being the comfortable spot for my little one, but I find it necessary to be able to put him down every once in a while. Hopefully this won't be the new way of things.

On the breastfeeding front, things are going well. My nipples still feel occasionally tender, and sometimes I think I put up with a not-so-good latch just because I am too anxious to get a workable latch in the first place. This is a problem I experience for middle of the night feedings. Last night was the first night that I still felt really sleepy during the mid-night feedings. Usually I wake right up and am all alert and aware. Last night I feel fuzzy about how long he fed and exactly when he fed. I suppose in some ways that's good, meaning I'm relaxing and getting my sleep, but it makes me feel a little uneasy. Today he fed frequently for short intervals -- 10 minutes every 1 1/2 hours or so it seems. And then, as I mentioned, he would sleep fine on my chest or in my arm and then wake up after a few minutes after I put him in a bed.

Aaron got home and I ran to the store, which took less than an hour, but I guess Sam was pretty fussy for the first half of that too. But he continues to eat well and fill diapers and hopefully lack of sleep today will mean more sleep tonight. We'll just have to see. It seems if he does these short feeds he gets up more frequently because he is hungry again. He just had a pretty good feed broken up by two diaper changes including a monster poo, so hopefully he'll be feeling good and ready to rest now. We'll see.

Also, he still will occasionally cough and appear to be choking on the milk every once in a while. I think it happens more in the side-lying position. Googling indicates that it might be overabundance of milk or overactive let-down. I thought this might indeed be the case because I had that trouble with engorgement, but today that really doesn't seem likely. It could just be that in some positions the milk gets caught in his throat. I dunno. I'll ask the pediatrician tomorrow at our 2-week appointment and if it continues to seem like an issue I'll call the lactation consultants. They have a 24-hour hotline even, so that's cool.

I guess that's it for now! I'll let you know how the doctor goes tomorrow.

Happy 2 week birthday Sam!

1 comment:

Iotis said...

Belated congrats!! Sam is such a cutie and you look great. :) His baby pictures remind me of baby pictures of your brother. It sounds like breastfeeding is going pretty well -- hang in there. Nobody ever tells you that it is HARD in the beginning, but it really does get easier (pretty soon you won't even have to think about it -- imagine that!).

I had some fussy, "need to be held at all times" babies (for various reasons). Do you have a good sling? That was invaluable for me -- it allowed me to have both hands free and get some stuff done and still keep my fussy baby happy. If you don't, I'd be happy to send you mine (it's a Miracle Baby Wrap). I have no need for it and it could use a good home. Best wishes!

-- Cousin I