Tuesday, July 8, 2008

two posts a day...i must be anxious

Well today started strong and then I fell into an emotional slump. I don't know if it's pregnancy hormones or what. We are starting to get the calls. "Do you have your baby yet??" It is nice to know people are thinking of us, but it is a little painful to explain how "oh no, this is perfectly normal" and "human gestation is really 38-42 weeks" and "no, we aren't getting induced yet" and "no, we're pretty sure of the dates. pregnancies sometimes just last longer..." The reason it's painful is because I'm constantly attempting to reassure myself of all this stuff, constantly reminding myself that all is well and that I will still, more than likely, go into labor naturally on my own. And what's even better, now Aaron has the old ladies at work coming up to him and telling him, "did you know having sex can bring on labor??" -- actually, one lady even basically said he needed to "do the nasty."

If I Google past due pregnancies or 41 weeks pregnant I read stories of women feeling EXACTLY like I do...that this whole pregnancy thing has been a farce. There really is no baby and no impending birth.

Tonight Aaron took me out for dinner and a movie -- I really needed to get out of the house (though my day with nothing to do did result in another cleaning of the house, top to bottom). For the first part of the movie I had a series of timeable contractions again -- 7 minutes apart. So exciting. But then they just fizzled away into nothing. Sigh. It's all a big tease. Most babies are born between a week before or after the due date. I am soon no longer going to be within the realm of "most". That makes me uneasy.

I am greatly looking forward to Thursday's doctor's appointment, but it's not until 4:40 in the afternoon. I really didn't think we'd need it, but it's looking more and more like we'll be making that appointment after all.

No comments: