Tuesday, August 5, 2008

a night out/the first bottle/i'm a baby too




So last night we went to Tain & Ingrid's to see their new place and to get me out of the house! We brought a bottle of freshly pumped milk, though it was just about 2 oz. (I read that breastfed babies take 2-3 oz per feeding, so thought this might do just fine). Their new apartment is great!! And it was great to visit and see new sites, and we got to tell Sam that there is more to this world than our house, ha ha.

Eating Out:
Sure enough, two hours after his last feeding, Sam started crying. Of course, it took Mom & Dad a while to realize that his inconsolable cries were due to hunger, but once I found out what time it was, I realized what was up. So in comes the bottle! He accepted the nipple easily enough, but then he chugged like nobody has ever chugged before! I was using a Medela bottle with slow-flow nipple, but this was anything but slow. He had milk dribbling down both cheeks and was coughing and sputtering too. He probably downed the thing in like five minutes or something, including my pauses to get him upright and burp and help things move through. It was quite the image! Needless to say, this did not satiate him, so I had to go give him the breast afterwards. But still, not a complete disaster. I am gonna try some other nipples and see if we find one that works for our tiny sucking machine.

Cloth Diapers:
I have started using the BumGenius diapers! I think they work well. They take a little getting used to, and we don't have enough to use cloth exclusively yet, but it's good to start giving it a try.

Today I feel a lot like Sam. I had a temper tantrum with him, and my world seems to revolve around food and sleep. I'm constantly hungry and tired, and it makes me grumpy.



1 comment:

Amy E. said...

I love your description of being a parent to a newborn. I often felt like I was more the baby than Elise was.