Monday, March 17, 2008

school, pregnant, school, pregnant, school...

Well, I guess I'll post. I just got up from another marathon nap. I have been taking these monster naps in the afternoon. I think they probably don't help me get more awake because I sleep too long. But it seems when I fall asleep I just keep sleeping and it's hard to get up. I guess I might as well take it while I can get it.

To let you know, my clothing experiment was not the grandest success! I have not entirely given up, but for now I think I'm gonna stick with modifying instead of working from scratch -- this has proven more successful. In the meantime, I did have some success with some relatively cheap and stretchy empire waist shirts from one of those tacky teen stores in the mall. sweet.

I'm trying to get myself back to work on school stuff. It's hard to believe that this is my last semester! It's pretty cool though, that despite whatever happens these next few weeks, I will be done. Done! And that will be that. Wait, unless they don't pass me. What if they don't pass me? No, I think they'll pass me. I don't think my committee chair would fail me without ample warning. Would he? Ahh, grad school. Living on the edge.

So to those of you wondering how it is to juggle graduate school and pregnancy? Ok. I think it is Ok. I, however, have been pretty fortunate that my trimesters and semesters have lined up pretty well. I was pretty worn out from the first trimester nausea and exhaustion at the end of last semester, so that was a little rocky. But I guess no one seemed to notice. I just sort of ceased to have any kind of social life. Then I had winter break to make the transition from 1st to 2nd trimester. Then this final semester is really all 2nd trimester, and they all say it's the easiest of the three. I won't begin my third trimester until after my show. Or maybe it's the week of my show. Something like that. I always forget the weeks. I think I'll be 27 weeks the week of my show and thus will reach 7 months pregnant the week after. Wild. Oh, and the show thing -- I'm in grad school for art, so the end of my school culminates in my final show complete with reception, lecture, and oral defense. It will be one action-packed fun time. yee-haw.

I have been feeling pretty good physically, as of late. I have been experiencing what I believe to be contractions. I wouldn't have thought I'd feel them so soon, but from what I read they are going on all the time and you sometimes feel them and sometimes don't. They aren't painful, they aren't increasing in duration, strength, quantity, or anything else, so I am not in panic mode. The contractions are just a funny tightening sensation in the abs. It is sort of cool though, to continue to think of my body with a mind of its own, doing this stuff I have no control over and little idea about. Go body!

Mentally on the other hand, I've been feeling a little loony. Ordinarily I pride myself on remaining pretty stoic and level-headed with the emotions. I guess being pregnant is allowing me to become a more understanding and compassionate person, ha ha, because I now see that when your emotions decide to take you for a ride, sometimes all you can do is wait. But I do feel bad for my husband who seems to have to ride along side me! I keep telling myself that once the show is over, I will get to be a little more level-headed -- right? please? maybe? Aaron (husband) assures me I'm not really being crazy, but I'm not convinced...

Latest news on the post-baby job front: So far I will be unemployed come July. My contract through the university is through June (I don't know how this baby managed time to time himself so conveniently), and I want to take off as much times as I can, but it's hard for us to know how long we can afford that. It's a student job, so I can't continue working in the same position since I will have graduated. They would like to keep me on, but that means making a new position for me, and who knows how that will go. I like my job though, and I hope something works out. I work in archives and digitization, and there are lots of fun little things I get to do from time to time. We'll see how it goes. I have a couple of other up-in-the air opportunities. Or maybe not working (for pay, because I know that mothering will be an absurd amount of work that I cannot yet fathom) will give me time to pursue my own stuff, like art and the store.

Speaking of the store! To end this long and rambling post, I want to say check out the new links! (which I'm about to add, so if you see this before the links show up, patience please.)

Ok. I'm out. I have now officially woken from my sleepy nap head and will get back to writing artist statements. yay artist statements.

3 comments:

mle said...

Wow! Contractions already? I had no idea!! Is this what they call braxton hicks contractions? or something else completely? meg.

Liz said...

yeah, braxton hicks. i think they change once it gets closer to the big day, but so far it's just sort of like an involuntary tensing of a muscle. wack.

Liz said...

from about.com: "A Braxton Hicks contraction is defined by Taber's Medical dictionary as an intermittent, painless contraction that may occur every 10 to 20 minutes after the first trimester of pregnancy.... Not everyone will notice or experience these contractions, and some will have them frequently...other moms will notice the tight feeling without having to feel it with their hands. Don't panic if you don't notice them."