Friday, March 14, 2008

My New Shell

Ok, so I'm posting already!! Told you this pregnancy stuff is all I think about. Ha ha.

So the thing is, I finally have to confront the fact that my body is changing. I didn't gain much if anything during my first trimester. And then all of a sudden I had this belly that seems to grow every week if not everyday. That might not be such a big deal if everything else wasn't growing just a little bit too!!

Ok, so I guess I've been a little free with the eating. Well I've never been *that* healthy of an eater. And I've never been that great at regular exercise either. Sigh. And with the pregnancy, I haven't really changed my habits too much. I should change my habits, but that doesn't change the fact that my body is designed to grow in new ways to nurture my developing child, and I guess growing it finally is. So I must confront the inevitable: Maternity Clothes.

I have lucked out with a few Goodwill finds and a few hand-me-downs from friends, but for the most part, I can't find any maternity clothes that are the same price or less than what I normally spend on clothes and close to something I would normally wear. And none of them fit right anyway. It's hard enough that your physical self is taking on a new identity, now you have to put on a new and unrecognizable shell on top of that. And that's not even taking into account the new identity you're dealing with internally! Ah, what's a girl to do?

Make her own clothes.

Well, it's an idea anyway. I've been sewing for a long time, but I usually make toys and objects. I have never been too good at making apparel. Last night I modified some old jeans so that they could accommodate my growing belly and a*s, and that went ok. Tonight I venture into the world of making from scratch. I'll let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck. what worked for me was buying cheap empire waisted shirts and stretchy skirts. Which is perfect for you since you are small and the weather is getting warmer soon. I bought very few maternity clothes. I did invest in good maternity underwear for that a*s.

Stephanie said...

I am SO excited you decided to do this!!!! Now I can read all about everything I'm missing way back here in stupid Ann Arbor!

Post lots!

XOXOXOXOXO

Rachel said...

Steph sent me your link (yay!), so I'm sending you this one:

http://babycutescott.blogspot.com/

That's my friend Natalie, married to my friend Big Duck. Anyhow, her baby is out and older, but if you start at the beginning, her posts are hilarious, informative and sweet. ;)

Liz said...

ftm -- thanks for the tips! haven't branched into the world of maternity underwear (yet??!!)

rachel -- thanks for the baby blog link! they are so addictive to read!!