Friday, March 14, 2008

FIRST POST!

So I think I've tried to do blogs before, and I don't think I ever end up posting more than a couple of times. Maybe this one will be different??We'll see.

First off, I want to say that I think I'm doing this because I've grown obsessed with my cousin's baby blog! This is my first pregnancy, I don't have any close friends who have been pregnant, and I don't have any immediate family who've been pregnant either! So I spend lotsa hours scavenging the net and printed materials for all the info I can soak up. What I've really enjoyed lately is finding personal pregnancy and birth stories. Each one of us is going to experience this crazy thing in our own way, but it seems so remarkably comforting to hear what all of you other ladies are thinking and feeling as you go through it. So credit to the cousin -- her blog is in my links (my only link at the time of this first post), and here it is again: A Bun in the Oven


The situation:
I am now 24 weeks and 2 days pregnant! That means I am well into the second trimester. So I feel obliged to give a quick rundown of the journey thus far:
  1. Getting pregnant sometimes works the way it's supposed to.
  2. Morning sickness can happen anytime. Ok, all of you pregnant ladies know this, but I certainly didn't know it before I became pregnant! I was nauseous in the evenings mostly, and super exhausted, sleeping whenever I didn't have to work. BUT this only plagued me for a couple of weeks or so. I feel I got it pretty easy when it came to the sickness. Also helps a lot to have an amazing husband who made sure everything functioned without me, heh heh.
  3. The way those crazy doctors count it you are actually pregnant for MORE than 9 months!! Another thing I would have thought would be common knowledge...
  4. Digestion when pregnant becomes a whole new experience. All I can say is thank you Activia. Seriously.
  5. First ultrasound was at 8 or 9 weeks. It was amazing. More for my husband maybe since I was a little bit distracted by the procedure!
  6. I had relief of nausea and exhaustion right around the transition from first to second trimesters. Actually, I'm still tired more than I want to be. But I think I'm always that way.
  7. I felt fat from about week 9 on. Kept wondering when the maternity clothes would become necessary. Belly began to peek out around 4 months I guess. But I can say I have a legitimate pregnant belly now that I've reached 6 months!
  8. We live in a rather rural Indiana town and the health care options are, shall we say limited? Nevertheless, somehow I lucked out with a great doctor, and though the medical system continues to baffle me, I'm happy with the care I'm receiving.
  9. The 20 week ultrasound was probably the most amazing experience of my life. Somehow this little flicker of a heartbeat turned into what I could see was a baby. We decided to find out the gender and that made a huge difference to us. I am carrying a little boy! The extreme maternal devotion I felt from that moment onward is sort of indescribable (though I'm sure I'll take a stab at it at some point with this blog!).
  10. For me, mood swings have been the toughest part of the second trimester.
  11. Realizing which movements in my belly were my little guy was a pivotal moment.
  12. My husband felt our baby move for the first time just a few days ago. Another big step!
  13. I SAW my belly move for the first time just the other night. Now that was crazy too.
Ok, I think that brings us up to date. I'm gonna go try to get some work done. I will post again soon I'm sure, because of the fun of the newness of this blog and this pregnancy stuff becomes an obsession pretty easily.

If anyone comes across this blog and wants to share some of their pregnancy stories, please comment-away!!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, I love this blog! keep writing! Pregnancy---whew---what a rich source to write from. It's a real trip, isn't it? I am so glad you started this, I want to keep reading!

Rachel said...

You look terribly cute, but I'm seriously disturbed that you're still being stalked by AMG magnets. ;)

Liz said...

the magnets are still in their plastic wrap too!!