Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Good News

Yesterday was a very long day -- about a 12-hour work day, which is a lot for this mama to be. A good chunk of the middle of the day was more time wasted trying to convince my DVD authoring programs to make a looping DVD. Alas, around 8 o'clock, my friend Juan was able to save the day by lending me his Mac so I could use iDVD to make my avis into a looping DVD. THANK YOU JUAN! (even though he doesn't know this blog exists, ha ha). I am still grateful. He even stayed late watching the Office (British, of course) while I made all the DVDs I wanted to make.

In related news: I met with my professor last night. I asked him a few upfront questions, to which I received ideal answers:

Q. Are there any potential roadblocks or surprises I might encounter this week that might prevent me from finishing school?

A. NOPE! He confirmed that as committee chair, he would have given me ample warning if such a thing were a possibility.


Q. I told him I was really scared for the oral defense. Is there anything I should do to prep for it? Do I need to be on top of data and facts related to historical information that I reference in my "non-thesis" terminal paper?

A. NOPE! If I didn't spend several pages talking about William Morris and John Ruskin, I won't be expected to be an expert. He also said that the defense would focus mostly on my work -- what I've done over the past 3 years, how it got to where it got to, where I see it going now, what professional goals I have..
Most importantly, he described the oral defense as a FORMALITY!

Q. What do I do AFTER the defense?

A. I'm DONE!! He confirmed that after he signs the official form at the defense, then I can technically give him the finger and run out the door! (his example!!) Though in reality I need to submit a portfolio and stuff by the end of the semester, but that's not a very big deal!

So I'm pretty excited about all of that. Now I should stop blogging and make sure I get the rest of the stuff done for next week. I still need to revise my artist statement and do some last minute sewing. Plus we have some CAI work to do.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

good job asking those questions! That must be a relief!

Yeah for almost done!!!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Yay! Go Liz. All that and pregnant, too. It's good you asked those questions now because you will soon find your brain doesn't work as well as it used to. My midwife called it "placenta brain". But it goes away...only to return as breast feeding brain!