Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Surgery cost update...

I guess it's not polite to talk about such things, but they make health care costs so mysterious that I think public sharing of this info is important.

For this 10-minute outpatient operation, it will cost approximately:

$1557 for surgeon fees
$4100 for facility fees
$500 for anesthesiologist

Good thing we have some insurance. We expect insurance to cover 80% but we'll see. Nothing is ever a guarantee with this stuff. Other good thing is that the hospital does have a need-based program that relieves some or all of the expenses, based on debt/income ratios. With college debt and little income, I'm guessing we'll qualify, but we'll see. Guess we get through these things one step at a time. It all just makes me feel so sad and depressed. It makes me depressed that I have to worry about this at the same time I am worrying about the well-being of my son. It makes me sad that cost has to even enter into my thoughts on the matter. It makes me sad to imagine people in my financial situation who don't even have insurance.

2 comments:

@nne said...

Liz, I know. Currently we are paying COBRA insurance (from my old employer) out of pocket. It's really tough and we can't afford it but have to have it. It is a sad state of affairs.

Try to ride with the reality, but don't let it consume you (easier said than done, I know). Many people are seeing their income shrink (due to bad investments, no jobs, etc.) Things are bad now, but won't be forever. Get the best medical care for Sam (which I'm sure you will).

For our family, health and dental care is the biggest expense. Not vacations, toys, etc. It's hard to see it as a "gift" believe me! But, I am proud knowing that we have made it the most important thing -- to protect ourselves.

Big sigh.

AstroYoga said...

That makes me so angry! I've been in Germany for four years now, and I always thought that we would go back to the US at some point, but the longer I am here, the idea of going back to the US scares me. I did a year over there for work in 2006, and I paid more out of pocket for health insurance in that year than I have in three years here (in in those three year, I had a baby!)

I feel like they put heath first over here (especially for kids), and that's how it should be back home. I mean, we have some of the best health care technology in the world, but people can't get access to it! The system seems so screwed up at this point, that I can't see how it will be fixed! The prices are out of control because the insurance companies get stuck between the patients and doctors - both patients and doctors get jipped in the process!

Sorry for the rant - Good luck with Sam.