Wednesday, December 17, 2008

One down, one to go...

First interview did not go as well as I'd hoped. So I don't think I'm going to get this job, and if I do, it's questionable as to whether I'd want it. Usually I think I can gauge whether I'll be offered a job by the interview -- if I feel good, I got it. If I don't, I didn't. I don't feel that good.

There were three people interviewing: prev. boss, department head, and new boss. Department head asked generic questions that I answered well, prev. boss highlighted the experience I'd had with them, new boss tried to point out my weaknesses and she succeeded. I could not lie and say that I had library experience I did not have. I could, however, probably have answered questions more effectively. She basically was like "I know you haven't had any workshops or classes in archival training or library studies, so you might not know the answer to this one, but I'm going to ask what two terms mean to you: 'jargon 1' 'jargon 2'" ... umm... all I could say is that, no I couldn't answer that without some prior research. Bomb. New boss CLEARLY would like a librarian in the job, and I am not a librarian. So I guess even if I were to get the job because old boss and department head were pulling for me, it might be a miserable work environment. She is probably resentful that she is in charge a position and gets to build a team but doesn't get to build it the way she thinks it should be done -- I can't blame her I guess. The funny thing is that the job is Digital Collections Coordinator and all of the descriptions are all about digital collections with one line about assisting researchers and processing collections...in the interview, new boss said "As you know from reading the job description, this job is 1/2 digitization 1/2 collection processing..." But it's not like you can correct the interviewer during the interview...

Sigh.

Time to rebuild the confidence for interview #2...

No comments: