Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The state of things.

Well I've been a little melancholy. I actually had a phone call with social services. I'm looking to get Sam on the state sponsored health insurance, which I guess is just medicaid. The phone call was part two of the application process. You see, first I fill out a form and mail it in, then they ask me the same questions over the phone. Now they will mail me a packet of more application materials and processes. I feel so weird about all of this. The woman on the phone was coughing in my ear the whole time and being rude when I would ask for clarification. Really she was alright but it just sorta made me feel icky. So if we qualify it will be retroactive, but I wonder if it's even worth it. Sam is currently covered by Aaron's student health insurance and they seem to cover 80% of the med expenses. So that still leaves us a good chunk to pay out of pocket PLUS the cost of insurance, but even if we get the medicaid, it will only work if our health care provider accepts medicaid, and then we can resubmit the charges and get refunded (or at least that's what it sounds like). We will, of course, still be out the cost of the health insurance, and by the time this application gets processed, I might be working and have regular health insurance through my employer. Sigh. I dunno. I guess I'll continue with it because I just don't know what the future will bring. Here I am, using the welfare system. I am 28 years old, I have a bachelor's and master's degree from nationally (if not internationally) recognized institutions and I'm applying for welfare.

Things feel dire a lot of the time. Particulary late at night when I'm so tired I should be sleeping but instead I'm doing something else. But then I look at Sam. He is one little bundle of hope. At the same time I sometimes feel worse because I want so much to do right by him. If I feel like a failure I am now failing him as well as myself.

But I have prospects. The library job should still pull through, though I have no news on that. And I'm applying for that professor position in Indianapolis, but that's probably a bit of a reach. I have an interview on Tuesday for an archival technician position at Purdue's construction department. This is funny because it's the same office Aaron worked at. It's a rather depressing building full of urine colored carpet and cubicle walls, but a job is a job and the more options I can line up the better. I doubt this job pays better than the library job, though, so I'm still expecting to be back at the archives come January. And at least I'd have my own office.

The boy is as cute as ever. Here is the proof:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

which boy is still cute? :-) From Aaron's mother of course.

I remember one year we had to get help paying our heating bills.
and one year we used food stamps. And we were both working but our grandchildren and their mother were living with us and they were eligible. And the reduced price meals at school, I couldn't make them as cheap. That's just the system. We pay into it(taxes) so we can use it when we need it. Over the years what you and Aaron will pay in will more than compensate for your needs now.

Gosh I miss you guys. hugs and kisses.

Amy E. said...

He is so cute! I love his cheeks. And the stylish shirt/onesie thing too.

It's such a hassle dealing with bureaucracy but it may prove to be worth it. I was on the state health insurance when I was a kid and it was really a huge help for my parents.