Sunday, June 8, 2008

maybe i'm a koala

Lafayette, IN, has reached summer. Summer here is thick moist air and oppressive heat. Every year, you try to get used to a layer of sticky moisture coating your skin. Imagine that while being 9 months pregnant. Ick. We do not have central air in the little old cottage-like ranch house we rent, so I keep a box fan on me whenever possible.

Yet today, despite the dense air and 90 degree heat, we went to the Indianapolis zoo with our friends Tain & Ingrid! Luckily Indiana sacrifices trees and hills for wind, so we did have a hearty breeze to provide some relief. The day at the zoo was terrific, though, regardless of weather. I saw a handful of other pregnant women, all who I swear weren't suffering the heat and baby weight as much as I, but I suppose it's probably just a perspective thing. I also had the opportunity to watch all sorts of moms and dads with their children of all ages, which becomes more and more fascinating as the big day approaches.

Here are some pics from the zoo!





In other news:
I had my work baby shower yesterday, and that was very nice. It was so generous of my boss and his wife to throw the shower for us, and I was actually very touched to see so many people show up. My office is a quiet one with limited staff, and I'm a part-time student worker, so I sort of feared that no one would come and it would be terribly awkward. Despite the fact that it's always weird to be the center of attention at something like this, and that I was socializing with co-workers outside of the workplace, it was a really really nice event. So thanks for that!

That's about it for now. The little guy who lives in my belly seems to be having fun switching sides, which is strange because he's so big now. He had been camped out in one position for weeks and weeks, and over the past few days he seems to alternate sides daily. His head remains down though, so I don't think it's cause to worry, but it is funny to watch my lopsided midsection move back and forth.

Though I still feel enormous and continue to grow, I realized at my last doctor's appointment that I've gained about 26 lbs from my initial weigh-in. That sounds like a lot, but they recommend gaining 25-35 lbs during pregnancy, so it seems I'm doing OK after all. And no stretch marks yet, but I sort of feel they are gonna spring up on me in the last week or two, or perhaps not appear until after the birth. We'll see!

No comments: