Thursday, June 12, 2008

Doc Update/Lamaze/Garden

So today we went for our 37 week doc appointment. First, my doc had to reschedule but we didn't get the message so we showed up only to be told to come back later. Ah well. I guess she had two deliveries this AM so that's exciting. Anyway, by the time we actually had our appointment we discovered all is still well! His heartbeat was between 130-140 (can't remember for sure), I was measuring 34 cm, I'd gained some weight (sigh), and my blood pressure was good. I discovered that the penicillin will indeed be administered via IV during labor, and I need a dose every 6 hours. Hopefully I only need one!! I did also find out that I won't need to be hooked up to the IV the whole time, just in the beginning to get the penicillin. Should be ok. I don't think I've ever been hooked up to an IV before though, so it sort of freaks me out.

We had our third Lamaze class tonight. It was really good! We did the tour of the hospital and the class was more talkative and asked a lot of questions; I in particular couldn't keep quiet, but this was the stuff I was really curious about. At first I was creeped out by the hospital. I didn't think it would bother me, but I realized that it really did seem weird to be going to this place associated with pain and sickness for something so healthy like childbirth. The labor and delivery rooms are designed to seem homey, but the result is an awkward cold hotel room with hospital equipment throughout. I was feeling a little freaked out. But as we stood there, in the creepy hospital/hotel room, with the instructor showing us all of the equipment and components of the room, Aaron and I actually became very excited about our upcoming adventure. It is really gonna happen!! And it's gonna be ok!! And even though hospitals are weird, it really sounds like they do what they can to make this a positive experience for us. For most of the laboring, it will just be Aaron and I, doing our thing -- that helps a lot. There are squatting bars and birthing balls available, and the bed adjusts to a variety of positions. There is a private bathroom, and most have showers and one even has a bath (so hopefully I can get the one with the bath!). The baby will be in the room with us the whole time, too. Two hours after delivery we move to the post-partum rooms. Those are really big and the one we were in was nice and sunny. There is a TV and DVD player, so we can watch movies, and again, the baby will be with us the whole time. All the post-partum rooms are single rooms, so it should really be OK. And what really got us anxious for the big day was going by the nursery! There was only one little baby in there since mostly they do all that stuff right in the delivery room. But he was right up by the window, a pink little newborn. It was so amazing and beautiful -- I think I actually got choked up. Our instructor guessed him to be about 7 lbs. Our little one isn't far from that now (most likely)! Ok little Nemec, we're ready whenever you are!!

I brought my camera but didn't take any pictures at the hospital because I was too shy. But here are some pictures of our garden and a butterfly that was hanging out on Aaron's shoulder.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't worry, iv's aren't that bad! it's just like getting your blood drawn. wow, reading this posting was like taking a trip to home hospital. i could even smell it!!!!

i'm a heading out to gardenfarms, come and see the sunset!