Friday, June 20, 2008

38 weeks, somebody had a birthday

It was Aaron's birthday yesterday! And the little one decided not to share a birthday with his daddy. We did get to the doctor yesterday and I went ahead and had my cervix checked just because I was too curious not to know how things were progressing. Alas, I am still 1 cm dilated, which isn't a whole lot. I am now about 70% effaced though, as opposed to 50% from a couple of weeks ago. Other stats are good...good blood pressure, I lost a lb, heartbeat was 130...doc says she thinks baby is on the small side, no more than 7 lbs, which sounds good for the birth as far as I'm concerned! But basically it just seems I need to remain patient, this will just happen when it happens, but I am so excited and anxious and I really don't want to be induced. I have no reason to think that I will need induction, but it still freaks me out. Pitocin is often used, which is often said to bring on faster, stronger, more painful contractions, and it seems to sort of cause a slippery slope of drug use, ha ha, by which I mean the epidural, and it all tends to lead to a longer labor, maternal exhaustion, episiotomies, and vacuums. This of course is not universally true, but I read enough birth stories about it that it is my current fear. Basically it seems my strategy is to keep coming up with some undesired birth situation and then try to wrap my head around it so I can be ok with it if in case it happens.

Don't read this paragraph if you don't want to hear about the gross stuff of pregnancy!! Just skip to the next paragraph! The exciting thing that happened after my doc appointment was that I had some spotting! It freaked me out but I was pretty sure it was just the result of the cervical exam. Nonetheless, I called the nurse to make sure I shouldn't be alarmed, as I had never had this happen after any internal exam ever. She said that it was probably indeed because of the exam but to definitely call back if I noticed any more blood. Well the day went on without much action in that department and then that evening there was more blood! And mucous too!! I think I had my bloody show!! I could also refer to it as losing my mucous plug. (They need to come up with a better term for this). It is very exciting to me because it often is one of the main precursors to labor. However, it can also happen WEEKS before labor, and can indeed by dislodged during an internal exam, as it was in this case, so again, really doesn't tell me anything about when I'll go into labor. Sigh. Patience patience patience.

Contractions are stronger, but that's about it. I don't feel this baby is going to come in a matter of days...I think it is closer to weeks. But I will of course keep you informed.

As for birthday talk!! Aaron and I had a full and lovely day yesterday, with Indian buffet lunch, afternoon movie, walk in the park (where we learned his good friend from back home just found out they are having a baby!!), baby classes, cake, and a surprise visit from our friends Nick and Ashlea. I think Aaron had a great birthday as he officially moved into the world of 30-somethings.

Here are some pics...



Bday lunch at Indian buffet!


Beautiful but not-so-tasty Twizzlers we got for the movie.

Petting zoo at the park.


Baby bird at the park.


Opening the gift from Nick & Ashlea.


Nick & Ashlea got Aaron a Game Cube for his bday!!

4 comments:

Amy E. said...

Happy Birthday Aaron! Completely off topic, but are you guys registered anywhere? Or is there anything you need/want for the baby? We want an excuse to buy baby stuff :)

And we'll keep sending labor vibes your way!

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday, Aaron!!!!! Rockin' the 30! I love it.

Liz said...

Thanks Amy! We are pretty set I think with the stuff on our registry (amazon)... but you experienced folks might know of some new parent must-haves that we have overlooked ... or satisfy the urge by just finding something overwhelmingly cute and impractical. that's always good too!!

hope ohio is treating you well!

Anonymous said...

miracle boy aaron nemec: looking younger everyday. Give me the recipe or write a blog about it!