Thursday, April 30, 2009

What do I do?

Ok faithful blog readers, I need your opinions.

I think the public library is going to offer me the job (the one I just interviewed for -- this is not THE library that I used to work for). I don't know for sure, of course, but I have a second interview on Saturday. Aaron took the call about scheduling the second interview and they said "i think she knows we want her". So that sounds positive. Trouble is, I don't want it. I want to stay home with my son. I have been wanting employment and complaining about my unemployability, but when I finally have a decent prospect, I don't want it. Am I doomed to be disappointed even when I get what I want??

Here's the thing: We don't need me to work full time. But we do kinda need me to work at least part time. I haven't found a part time job. I *might* be able to get more adjunct work from the university in the fall, but one never knows. I *might* be able to get adjunct work at the community college, but again, one never knows, at least until a contract is in hand.

I really liked the people I interviewed with. I like the description of the job. It's not glamorous, but they actually want someone with advanced education (despite the low salary of course, but hey, it's a non-profit), and they are all about making the library the cultural-hub of the community. A lofty goal perhaps, but really aligned to my idealized notions of art and community. This position would have a lot to do with organizing and promoting cultural events for the community, as well as networking with other cultural groups on campus and throughout the city. The position also comes with good benefits, sick time, vacation time...

So the problem? It's full time. The hours vary, as the library is open evenings and weekends, so that's actually good for us. But it's full time. We would have to hire someone to help watch Sam. I would be away from Sam for 40 hours/wk. 40 hours each week as he grows and develops and changes every day.

I just don't know if I can do that. I would rather be with my son than take this job. But I might strongly prefer this job to another job. And I think I will need to have A job.

I dream about starting up my own business -- another idealized notion in my head and one that seems to make sense when opportunities don't seem to already exist. I mean, if the opportunities aren't there, then I might as well make my own, right? But obviously creating my own business is 10 times the work than just finding a job that already exists.

How have you parents out there dealt with this? What do you think I should do? Does the nation's failing economy mean I should take what I can get? Or go ahead and live on meager means like everyone else?

Which is the more important sacrifice? Sacrifice my time in order to have a job that can help support the family? Or sacrifice the steady reliable pay check and health insurance for time with my son?

The time goes by so fast. I just don't want to miss more than I have to.

5 comments:

Stephen said...

This is hard thing to comment on. I don't know that anybody is always happy with the solution they work out, or even feel they managed the solution they really wanted.

Cousin Mer said...

Liz,

Can you go for the second interview and tell them you'd like to discuss possibilities of working part time?

Can they rework the position into two part-time positions? Can you ask how many hours someone must work at that library to be considered full-time and eligible for benefits? (Some places it's as low as 20.)

If they are really wanting you to work there, perhaps they will be able to work with you somehow to give you a part-time position. Maybe it would still have benefits, maybe it would not.

Before I left my last job, I found that our office and some colleagues at Ohio University were having better luck hiring writers and editors for part-time positions than full-time, because our market has a lot of moms who are writers/editors, and all were interested in part-time vs. full-time work. Maybe the library just needs you to suggest some things like this, to get some brainstorming going about how you could still provide your services but not full time?

AstroYoga said...

a piece of advise someone gave me during my last job search - don't turn down an opportunity before you even have one. If they haven't offered you the job, it might be presumptive to walk in and ask for possibilities about changing the position (even if it sounds like they want you now). Wait until an offer is made, and find out what that offer actually is, before trying to negotiate something different.

Liz said...

Thanks guys.
Yes, I think that's important to remember, that really, no offer has yet been made. And I've been here before too -- people indicating I'll get the job and then not getting it. Seems to actually have been a recurring theme this year! So maybe I won't even get an offer and won't have to fret over this after all!

But IF an offer IS made I suppose I'll just say that my situation is different than I first anticipated and that I'm not available full time and take it from there...

hmm.

Cousin Mer said...

I should have been more clear -- definitely wait until an offer has been made to start asking for a part-time option! I meant go back for the second interview and see what happens. If you are offered a job, tell them you would like time to think about the offer. (Don't start negotiating how the job might look on the spot.) When you respond to the offer, your response could include questions about possibilities for PT work.

Sorry I'm not more clear, I too am a sleep-deprived relatively new mom!