Monday, April 7, 2008

27 1/2 weeks...

I'm back in Lafayette! I made it to Big Rapids for the wedding, which was nice, but I was a big grump the whole time (sorry Nemec family) because I was tired and didn't really feel like going in the first place. The wedding was for Aaron's good friend Paul, and though I've known him for many years, he and I aren't really friends. Aaron was in the wedding party, so I didn't really spend any time with him, and I didn't really know people at the wedding either. Plus I was just really worn out. All of this led to grumpy Liz, which Aaron and his parents had to put up with. Hopefully I wasn't too hard to be around! So I did get to see Aaron's parents (his dad was marrying the couple), his sister, and grandma, so that was nice. We don't get to see them too much because they all live in different places, so it's great that we had this opportunity to get together, even if it was a bit hectic.

I'm very sleepy and hope to get a nap in before heading to work this afternoon. I haven't been to work for a week, so that feels a little strange and I dread the catch-up. However, the promise of future employment with the archives is continuing strong, and I think I'll be talking with the head archivist about it this week, so that's cool. I will of course keep you informed.

As for the little one in my belly: He gets bigger every day, as I am too. I went to the doctor today, and I seem to continue to gain about 5 lbs per month, though the recommendation is to gain 4 lbs. Ah well. My doctor says my weight gain is entirely normal and healthy so I will try not to worry about the extra pounds too much. I'm hoping that now that school is done I will be able to get a little more exercise and make some smarter choices in my diet. We'll see! Today at the doctor I also had to drink the nasty glucose drink (like a syrup of orange crush) and they drew my blood. I'll let you know if anything comes back abnormal. The little boy moved around in response to the sugar, though, and it's always funny to watch him move from one side of my belly to the next. I also asked my doctor about when I could comfortably consider returning to work and she said 6 weeks post-partum (6 weeks!!). I think I'll definitely try for more than that. And we asked about circumcision too, as we have been discussing this with family and reading a lot about it lately. I just wanted to know if my doctor (who I trust so far) really had any medical knowledge that would recommend circumcision. Her response was that the decision is cultural and not medical, and that so far there really was no medical evidence to prove that circumcision would be beneficial to our boy. Good to know.

Other baby news: Thanks to the Remsbergs & Nemecs for the big bags of hand-me-down baby clothes! Looks like the little one won't have to go naked after all!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz, this is Mary Carol, Sally's friend from highschool. I met you and Aaron years ago when you werer visiting in Alaska and it was Aarons birthday. So happy to hear about your good news. I have a daughter and step daughter who are pregnant now and due in July. Lara, my daughter will have a baby girl (she has 3 year old Andy) and Julie will have twins a boy and girl, already named, Lucy and Oliver. Julie suggests the book Baby Bargains by Denise Fields, says it has been a remarkable resource. Our emails are alicerosey@aol.com (me) julsak@comcast.net (julie) and lla222@sbcglobal.net (lara). Would love to hear from you. I was also a pediatric nurse for a few years if you have any questions. mary carol

Anonymous said...

Liz was not grumpy at the wedding, she looks great! It was good to see her and Aaron. And Michigan. Love you..mom-in-law