Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Working Mom

So we're figuring out our schedules for the new academic term. I have agreed to adjunct at the community college, and I had applied and interviewed for an academic advisor job (part time). I SOOOO wanted that advisor job, figuring it was reliable year-round employment and could be a great stepping stone into a career path of education administration. BUT ALAS, no call (even though I thought the interview went quite well). Sigh. Well the university has come through with a couple of classes for me, but two different classes (meaning three course preps in total). This would definitely be full-time work. Oi. I have asked to see if I can do just one of those classes. So I'd be doing three classes total, two preps. I think we could make that work.

While I'm still struggling to identify the ultimate career path for me, I suppose I am stumbling forward on one nonetheless. And I feel fortunate to have the opportunities that I do. But as I sit here questioning how to balance motherhood and academia, my friend sends me this link to this book called Mama, PhD ... read an excerpt here. This book seems pretty cool and I just might have to seek it out, if not for comfort than to commiserate. For now I will continue to stumble forward, one semester at a time, while I hope for the occasional "a ha" moment.

No comments: