Tuesday, July 21, 2009

One Year Doc Updates!

Sam is back from his one-year well-baby check up. He is doing great! Didn't get his vaccines because our doc told us of a cheaper (read: free) place to get them, but other than that she checked the normal stuff. He's a much smaller guy in some respects; here are the stats:

Weight: 23 lbs 12 oz (around 65%)
Height: 29.5 (don't remember -- maybe 35%?? kind of short)
Head: 48 cm (88%)

Doc said right now as he moves into toddlerdom he is finding his new percentile arcs to follow, so drops aren't anything to worry about.

Sam cried nearly the whole time. It ended up that we were there when he wanted to be taking his first nap, so he was on edge.

It is funny to me that at the doctor, questions from the nurses are posed in such a way as to suggest the assumption that we (as I suppose all other parents?) are using formula and taking our child to day care. I do not mean to suggest that either of those choices are bad choices, but it sort of makes me sad to think that they are indeed the more common or "normal" choices, or I suppose, situations. Though I'm ready to figure out how to cut back/out the nursing, I am so happy that I was able to nurse my son all these months, and I feel so very blessed to have been able to be home with him as much as I have.

Aaron and I are back to questioning sleep habits and are feeling like we should work to get Sam in his crib. It will be two weeks of rocky sleep and lots of crying, but it might ultimately be worth it? I'm sure we would/will both be sad to see the bed-sharing days end, but we both sort of feel like it's important for Sam to be able to sleep in his own bed. When the appropriate time is is always so unclear, I guess. For example, the literature the doc gave us said that if we are still bed sharing, we will probably share a bed until Sam is 3 or 4 years old. I think this is true, based on the stories other parents have shared with us. That doesn't seem like something we want. However, maybe that's actually a natural and healthy time and way for sleep habits to change? I don't know. We'll see. In some ways now seems like the best time to suffer through the two weeks of "sleep training" since we have time before the semester starts.

And for the semester: I guess I've confirmed and agreed to teach two classes at the community college this fall. I'm excited for it. I have that interview for the Academic Advisor position on Thursday. I would like to do both, if offered the second job, but then I'd be working full time. Hmmm. But the Academic Advisor job would be reliable and consistent and may even come with benefits. Hmmm. I could back out on teaching, but I don't want to do that and I would feel bad doing it. Well, once again, here I am worrying over what ifs when i do not even have an offer for the advisor job. So, I'll interview and take it from there. Hmmm.

No comments: