Friday, July 10, 2009

Year One.

It's hard to believe that Sam is already one year old. Wow. Seriously, where did this year go?


A year ago at this time, I was in the hospital already laboring away.

At 4:55 pm our little boy was born. This picture is from the day after, though. Sam had just been named and we were probably listening to Sam Cooke.


I cannot imagine what my life would be like without my son, but I suppose I don't often try. Sam fills my life with such joy and purpose.

At one year, Sam is not yet walking, but he sure is working on it. He does not like to sit still. He crawls like crazy, pulls himself to a stand whenever he can, and cruises around the furniture as much as possible, always reaching up for a hand when he needs it. I remember talking to another mom when Sam was maybe five months old, sitting peacefully in my arms, and she commented on how her toddler was so "slippery" now. Now I know what she means. Sometimes he is happy to sit on my hip, but not for long. Pretty soon he flexes his legs and locks his knees and pushes out from me -- he wants to get down and explore things for himself.

Sam makes all kinds of noises and sounds but no clear words. I still don't know if when he says "mom" and "mama" if he is associating those sounds with me or not. He does "dada" too. He definitely knows "bah" is good bye.

He is working on three new teeth, for a total of six.

He likes feeding himself so much now that sometimes he gets mad and won't eat from an offered spoon. We are transitioning away from purees.

He is still breastfeeding. Not sure how to wean exactly, but I'm starting with not offering it. He asks now by pulling down my shirt, but sometimes it seems he asks only because he is tired and wants to take a nap and he associates nursing with sleep. But Aaron has been putting him to nap or to bed and he goes down with little difficulty. We still co-sleep, so I still find myself nursing when he wakes at night, sometimes as many as three times. Well, one step at a time I guess.

People always comment on how happy Sam is, and I guess I must agree. Rarely does he cry and fuss. He is so eager to discover the world around him that he's often happiest when around new people and in new environments. This is not to say he does not cry or get unhappy, because he certainly gets uncomfortable or upset, but he's a pretty easy-going guy, and I'm thankful for it.

Sam's Grandpa E. and Aunt Sarah E. are here visiting for the weekend, so pics will be coming soon of gifts and cake and other fun times.

We love you, Sam.

2 comments:

Amy E. said...

Happy Birthday Sam!

Stephanie said...

Still enjoying his wagon, I see! Happy birthday little man :) xoxo