Wednesday, July 22, 2009

so sweet.

On a morning when Sam woke too early, couldn't sleep but wanted to, restlessly tossed and turned and cried until I nursed him, perhaps ever 20 minutes, I was pretty sure I was ready to start getting him to sleep in his crib. Then, once we finally agreed to simply get up, and we were still in bed, quietly playing and waking up, he crawled over to me and gave me a few kisses.


The documents the doctor sent home with us said that "sleep time is not bonding time, it's neutral time". I don't know. Maybe the actual sleep part is?? I'm not convinced. But the going to sleep and waking up is certainly bonding time. And if sleep time is not bonding time, then why do couples sleep together?

4 comments:

Barb said...

ooo, I don't think of sleep time as neutral time. Maybe when you are totally zonked out it is, but, otherwise I definitely see it as bonding time no matter what age you are.

Meredith said...

What the heck documents were these? And when did your doctor give them to you (and why)? Whaaaa???

Liz said...

haha yeah it's not QUITE as weird as it sounds... our doctor always prints out notes and stuff from our check up and when she asked about sleep i said he still slept in our bed, etc etc. she included in the printouts some guides for phasing out night feedings and such...

the document i am referencing is "Sleeping with the Parents (Bed-Sharing). The Paragraph says "Pros and Cons" and then goes on to list all the cons of bed-sharing, ha ha. I guess it doesn't say "bonding time" but I quote "Bed-sharing is not quality time. If your child is asleep in your bed, it is a neutral time. if your child is crying and keeping you awake, it is an aggravating time." hmmm... thank you B.D. Schmitt, M.D., author of "Your Child's Health," Bantam Books...

AstroYoga said...

have faith in your choices as Sam's mom. People can make you doubt yourself no matter what choices you make for the family, but in the end, you and your partner know your family best.