Sunday, June 7, 2009

12:30 Saturday night

So today was a lovely day -- went out to breakfast, went to some garage sales, hung out with the family. But Sam's schedule got off, and now that we have a schedule, when we get OFF schedule everything gets crazy. Meaning, a crazy tired hyper boy who is a lot of fun but stressful too. So he missed his morning nap, took a long nap at his normally shorter second nap time. Kind of missed his solid food dinner, took a bath, got into his pjs, would NOT sleep. So he crawled around on hands and knees (which he does wonderfully now) like a maniac, switching from sit, crawl, stand and fell over a few times. I tried again to get him to sleep -- no dice -- so I let him crawl around again. He totally bumped his head on the desk drawer handle, leaving a mark and a paranoid mom (sam cried for a brief moment, and is totally normal), and then we had some solid foods, a little tylenol, and he fell right asleep (pretty much). Oi.

So then I got my time, as my time begins when he goes to bed. I really have wanted to try messing with fondant icing and making fancy cakes, so I thought I would try it for Sam's first B-day. Ok, so it wouldn't be the cake he ate probably, but still sounded like a fun project. I found directions to make a marshmallow fondant online and got my marshmallows, Crisco, and confectioners sugar. Since Sam didn't get to bed until nearly 11 (!!) I didn't begin my project until LATE. I don't have a microwave so I double-boiled the marshmallows. I greased up my table surface. Now, I had bought a great big new thing of Crisco (and I never use Crisco) but found some open Crisco in my cupboard that had not expired, so I used that. After my marshmallows melt and I have my hands slathered in crisco and I'm kneading all this crazy sugar goo into a dough I think "hmm, something smells funny". Too late now! I continue my wacky dough-making and pack it up and put it away. I do a little googling and sure enough, I bet my Crisco had gone bad. So I had my table, hands, and icing slathered in rancid vegetable fat. Yummy. Guess I get to toss out the bag of marshmallows, confectioners sugar, and hour of work. Well, at least I now know what it's like to knead sugar into dough. I'll have to get some more and try again soon. Wish me luck.

My hands still smell funny from the bad Crisco. Yuck.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love you
A

Stephen said...

Damn. I didn't know Crisco went bad. Maybe, after all, it wasn't that I lost my pie-making skills years ago, but I just should have bought new Crisco.

Ingrid said...

Sounds awesome! That's ok, I had to through away 14 loaves worth of dough before because I used pure gluten instead of "high-gluten flour" ,,,it was like my 2nd day baking - I still feel horrible about it. I wish we could make some cakes together!!!!! Maybe when you come out to visit?

Barb said...

This sounds like something I would do...or have done.

I'm in town...can i bring you some fresh crisco?
:-)