Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sleep. Again.


So this morning I decided I would try getting him to sleep in his crib. Ha.

So I moved his crib over by the twin bed in "Sam's room". I took out the box spring so the twin bed mattress and the crib mattress were about at the same level. I laid down with him for a while in the twin bed at nap time, offered to nurse, but he wasn't having it. Wanted to play in his "new" environment. So we played for a bit, and then I put him in his crib. I tried to show him my brilliant arrangement where we could lay side by side with the crib bars between us. He wasn't interested. Quickly rolled over and propped himself up, pulled to a stand, and that was that. So I left him to play on his own. The crying quickly commenced. I let him cry a bit, then went in to comfort him. Tried laying him down in his crib, but again, he just played. So basically I went into a really poor attempt at a fake Ferber method. But my usual weakness came shining through -- inconsistency. Sometimes I would try picking him up and laying him in the bed next to me, sometimes I tried nursing. I tried singing, etc. But he just wouldn't have any of it. After about an HOUR I took him out of his crib again, and nursed him, and he seemed to relax. But then resumed playing. So, I put him back in his crib and he then resumed crying. Oi. Meanwhile I read this article:
http://www.sheknows.com/articles/1988.htm

The truth is, I'm more of a Sears parent even though I think I should be (want to be?) more of a Ferber parent.

So, I scooped up my little guy, took him to our bed, and he promptly relaxed and fell asleep. I snuck out of bed, installed the pillow walls, complete with the jingle alarm system, and here I am, back at square one.

Maybe I need to stop fighting my nature. Or maybe I need to stay strong and stick by rules and regulations even when the going gets tough. I dunno.

I guess we're all sleeping. I should just ditch the bedframe (and box spring?) and put the mattress on teh floor and then I wouldn't have to do these silly walls and jump everytime I think I hear a sound. Of course, then the dogs would attempt to claim the bed more than they already do.

Hmm



No comments: