Thursday, September 11, 2008

Two-Month Summary

Sam went for his 2-month doc appointment today. He got another "perfect" from the doc! Perfect includes some cradle cap, some potential yeast infections in his chubby little rolls, and a 14.4 lb weigh-in! He's HUGE! She said that's the average weight of a four-month old. No wonder he's getting better at his sleeping. She confirmed that he's doing great on his neck control and said we really should be sure to give him tummy time multiple times a day to make sure he gets a chance to learn to roll over. He hasn't made too many strides in the rolling department. During his first couple of weeks, he used to always roll to his side, but then he stopped doing that. He also got his vaccinations. I was wary with all the recent concern about vaccinations leading to autism, but my doc discussed it with me and we are going with the regular recommended vaccinations. I think I feel ok about it. Sam took 'em like a trooper, with only a few tears. I'm home watching him today, keeping an eye out for fever, which I'm sure will just break my heart. I gave him a dose of infant acetaminophen. I hope my little guy (or should I say big guy) doesn't feel too bad.

Here are some observations I've made over the past two months that I will record here because I want to remember them in the years to come...

*Sam doesn't cry a whole lot. The times when it seems like he cries a lot are when I'm super exhausted and simply can't seem to find the obvious solution to console him.

*He was a good eater from the beginning. I think he has a strong suck because he often has a sucking blister on his top lip. He also doesn't feed for long periods of time, and already spaces feedings out to 3+ hours and he weighs over 14 lbs so I think he's a good sucker. Heh heh.

*Often when eating, Sam holds his hands in little fists, pulled to the center of his chest. It's super cute.

*He likes to hang out on his changing table. Particularly when he is undressed. I often sing "naked baby!" to him. Maybe I should be careful of what I'm encouraging here.

*Sam smiles a lot, but I have found two things that will almost always produce a smile: sticking my tongue out repeatedly is one of them, and singing Wilson Phillips "Hold On" is the other. Yes. Wilson Phillips. Fantastic.

*Sam prefers to be held at the shoulder, and really likes to be walked around. Other favorite positions are sitting on my lap facing forward, particularly if I rock in the rocking chair or bounce my legs, and he likes to lie on his back on your lap, particularly with a slight incline (knees raised) and a little swing back and forth our light bounce up and down.

*Sam often sleeps best when in his own space. Sometimes when I try to get him to fall asleep in my arms but he won't fall asleep until I lay him down in his bed and cover him with a blanket. He sleeps in his crib at night and his pack 'n play during the day. We take naps together in our bed sometimes, and sometimes in the morning when he wants to wake up before I do he is in bed between mom and dad. But he likes to keep his arms stretched out with fists pointing up like he's flexing his muscles, so the boy needs his space.

*He gets the hiccups almost everyday. Poor guy. He would get them in the womb almost everyday too. No solution for them, but walking around with him on my shoulder or rocking him in the rocking chair with a pacifier seems to help ease the discomfort and annoyance for him.

*When Sam wakes up in the morning, he's a happy guy. I come over to get him for a feeding or to say hello and he gives this cute, peaceful, shy smile as soon as he sees me. It's the best feeling in the entire world.

Maybe I'll add more as I think of them, but those are some of the recurring Samisms.

1 comment:

Amy E. said...

Haha, I love that he's into Wilson Phillips. Haven't listened to that in a long time.

Wow, he is a big boy! Guess the breastfeeding is successful ;)