Tuesday, February 17, 2009

feeling better


Thanks for your encouraging words! I'm feeling better. I am feeling like that job really wasn't the best move for us anyway, and I'm excited about the possibility of maintaining a somewhat flexible schedule for the next few years. In so many ways, my time with Sam is so short, and moving so quickly. It is important to think about long-term stability, but I think most kids, when given the choice, would pick a financially struggling parent who is actually there for them over a financially secure parent who is never home. Of course, hopefully I'll end up being able to provide my son with financial AND emotional stability, and there's no reason to assume that we'll always be living on graduate student stipends and half-time "limited term lecturer" appointments. And heck, maybe I'll actually try to sell my art or develop some of my various other half-cooked creative endeavors.

In OTHER news -- Sam has cut his first tooth!! It's been in the works what, a good three months now! But over the past few days I could tell it was emerging, and as of yesterday I could finally feel the sharp edge instead of the soft fleshy mound that had formed in his gum. Meg and I tried to get a photo of it, but no such luck. The best I got is below. That slightly less pink spot is indeed the tooth coming through. My boy is growing up!


5 comments:

sadie said...

I find it funny that with the first tooth comes the more serious expressions, like he's trying to be more "mature" or something.

He's still adorable, no matter what.

Amy E. said...

Glad you're feeling better! Great pics, too. It's true that the time goes by really quickly. E will be 5 next month! I'm so glad that I spent extra time with her as an infant, even though we struggled financially because of it. I really think it's worth it.

Boosh said...

he is just amazingly cute. i am so glad you feel better. life is good, sam is awesome, and we in texas wish you well.
did you ever get those baby legs we sent??? I wonder if they fit sam???

Boosh said...

that was a comment from Ravyn, by the way. Boosh is Faris' account (my husband). OOPS!

Liz said...

YES got the baby legs. Thanks so much! They are the height of baby fashion (get used to it Mike!) and practical too. It is true, they are pretty tight on our chubby guy's legs, but I think come spring they will be useful when he lengthens a bit and he doesn't need full leg coverage (it's pretty cold here still).