Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Welcome to the newest Nemec!

He was born. What a day.

I did wake up in the morning and tell Aaron it might be the day our baby was born. I became more skeptical as the day progressed.

"Regular" painful contractions started around 6 pm or 6:30 maybe. I had dinner. They were still there. I told Aaron to go ahead and go to class but to keep his phone handy. I called him around 7:30 and told him to come home. Things were intense. But irregular. And then quickly gained speed.

I called my midwife. Contractions went from 8 mins apart to 3-5 mins apart really quickly. I took a shower (I had been doing yardwork with Sam and he had dumped dirt down my shirt!!) and we tried to make it to the hospital as fast as we could.

We got into the labor and delivery room around 9:20 or 9:30 pm. The midwife checked my cervix and I was already 8 cm. After a while, she broke my water. There was no time for an epidural. William ? Nemec was born at 10:27 pm on April 26, 2011.

OH. MY. GOD. If I were to do this again, I'd be pretty tempted for that epidural. I screamed like I have NEVER screamed before. It was INSANE. I was embarrassed. I expelled every bodily fluid I could, I'm sure, except I guess I didn't puke.

William was born 8 lbs 5 oz. I don't know if I know how long he is. He is doing well, but his face is bruised from delivery. Both of my sons came into the world with their hands up by their faces. Not sure what that's about. I was GBS positive and didn't arrive in time for the penicillin. They are monitoring him closely to see if he has problems related to that (tests have been unreliable/inconsistent). He has a prominent xiphoid process (guess not a big deal). So, in some ways, this one has been harder. But he's a champion nurser. He seems calm already. I think he looks like a Nemec. He feels so peaceful when placed on my chest. I already don't know how to do this newborn stuff, but at the same time it comes much easier.

Wow. What a day.

4 comments:

margaret e said...

Wha hoo and yea! Welcome little William! Congratulations everyone! We're so happy for you. I'll keep my eyes glued for new posts.

Love and joy,
Margaret

Melissa said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Iotis said...

Congratulations!!! I'm glad things went well. Giving birth is one of those occasions when you're allowed to scream -- a lot. ;) I sure did!! I hope your recovery is smooth. How great that William is such a champion nurser! So happy for you guys!!

Amy E. said...

It is a lot of work having a baby. You can scream all you want! He is just lovely and the pics of him and Sam are so sweet. Congratulations to you all!