Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sam socializes!


So Monday Sam and I went to the "lap sit" at the public library. For those of you, like me, who did not know what a "lap sit" is, it is story time for those too young to really sit and listen to story time. The woman who leads it does a great job. She has a puppy puppet ("Rascal") who starts and ends each session. She does little activities throughout the half hour to get the kids involved and playing. It was really great.

The most fun, of course, is watching Sam with other kids. The age range was maybe 6 months to 2 or so years. There were lots of kids and mostly moms (I did spot one dad!). I sure don't know how to do this group play time stuff. I don't know when to get in there and assist Sam or when to let him figure stuff out on his own. I don't know what to do if he throws a toy -- I mean, he's just learning about that stuff, so it's not like it's always wrong to throw, you know? But what if the toy hits someone and stuff. Anyway, it was fun to watch Sam because first he started off all reserved and quiet. And I could tell if he got nervous he blushed and turned all red. He's truly his mother's child! But after an activity of marching around in a circle (one of Sam's favorite activities), the woman leading the session brought out a bunch of musical instruments. Sam's shyness faded and he ran for the maracas. Fun times! Then after that, when they were winding up the session, she brought the puppy puppet back out. Sam clapped to show his approval and ran over to get a hug from the puppet. I was so proud and laughing rather loudly. It was so neat! I will try to make this a regular event.

Also, seeing Sam in the crowds is funny. He really is a big boy.

Delayed haircut pics. Before, during, and after.





2 comments:

Amy E. said...

He looks so grown up! And I think most people are at a loss in those social situations, especially with really young toddlers.

Alison said...

Hey Liz! I got to your blog from Stephanie's...apparently you and I have the same birthday (and I mean exact same -- I was born the same year too. :) I have a little boy who's about a year younger than yours, I think. He was born in July of 2009. It's so nice to read what I can expect a year from now! Also, I am one of those moms who worries so much about the "milestones"...ugh...I hate it!